When it comes to email marketing, subject lines play a crucial role in determining whether your messages get opened or ignored. To maximize your email open rates and engage your audience effectively, knowing the following strategies will help to grab attention and drive engagement.
Tips for Better Subject Lines:
- Don’t Use Emojis: While emojis can add a touch of creativity and playfulness to your subject lines, it’s generally best to avoid them. Emojis not only challenge deliverability but may not render consistently across everyone’s devices, potentially leading to confusion or a less than professional presentation.
- Avoid Using Special Characters: such as dollar signs ($), percentage symbols (%), exclamation marks (!), or asterisks (*). They can trigger spam filters. Stick to using plain text subject lines.
- Don’t Use Spam Trigger Words: Avoid terms like “free,” “earn money,” or overly salesy language. Check out a full list of trigger words here. You may be surprised by how many you’re using unintentionally.
- Use Personalization: Personalizing subject lines can significantly increase open rates and engagement. Incorporate the recipient’s name or other relevant details to create a sense of individual attention.
- A/B Test Your Subject Lines: Split testing is one of the most effective ways to optimize your subject lines. Split your email list into smaller segments and test different subject lines to gauge their impact on open rates. Analyze the results and iterate based on the data to refine your subject line strategies and improve engagement. Learn exactly how to do A/B testing on Blastable here.
- Create a Sense of Urgency: Human psychology responds well to urgency. When appropriate, use phrases that evoke a feeling of limited time or opportunity.
- Keep it Short, Sweet, and Relevant: In today’s fast-paced digital world, brevity is key. Keep your subject lines concise, ideally under 50 characters, to ensure they are fully visible on various devices.
We hope these tips have been helpful! By following these best practices, you can improve your email open rates, capture the interest of your audience, and drive higher engagement levels.
Want more deliverability tips? Check this out.